Monday, October 15, 2007

Orthopraxy Abounds at the Shabbos Table or Orthopraxy and Jewish Continuity

My wife and I were invited out for Shabbat lunch this past weekend, and I found myself arguing at the Shabbat table against the probability that any specific religion is exclusively true. The kefirah was pretty subdued, as my argument was in the context of a discussion about proofs for OJ, but it was nevertheless enjoyable to publicly present some of my thoughts. (My response touched on most religions and sects finding their proofs to be perfect and everyone elses proofs to be wanting.)

I also met a new type of Orthoprax Jew at the meal. (I know, what a productive Shabbos!) She feels a strong connection to Judaism and began Orthodox practice as a teenager after accepting "an intellectual argument for OJ." The argument that convinced her was that Orthodoxy has the highest success rate at imparting beliefs and practices to children. When pressed (lightly) on whether she would kill an Amalekite baby, she responded that such practices are irrelevant today. I dubbed her Orthoprax (in my mind) as soon as she agreed that she was subscribing to a system of practices rather than a system of beliefs. Fun conversation overall.

But her situation brings me to a difficult question, although it's one that certainly has answers:

How can Orthoprax Jews impart their Jewish practice to their children?

Any suggestions?